Friday 1 January 2010

Dr Who

The moment I had been dreading would arrive sooner or later; David Tennant’s last episode of Dr Who - either you loved it or you hated it. I’m not surprised that it became a trending topic on Twitter as soon as the show began. Judging by the tweets on the night, some thought it was a huge let down to it all after such a big build up for months, whilst others thought it was a fantastic send off for Tennant. I loved the fact that not many people in America had a clue about what Dr Who is, lol.

The final episode – come on! You knew it was inevitable that I was going to talk about it. Those who are not Dr Who fans... prepare to be bored :P

The final episode of Dr Who - David Tennant in The End of Time

Right then Allons-y!

Amongst all the other goings-on, the master (played by John Simm) has been resurrected with the beat of four (a Timelords’ heart beat) as strong as ever in his mind. We eventually find out that this was all just a means of bringing back the Timelords as well as the whole of Gallifrey. We see the fiery red planet reappearing, descending upon the earth and knocking it out of orbit. This in turn has an effect on everything leading to the end of creation, where nothing exists any longer except for the Timelords; and even they would only exist in consciousness but with no physical form. The approach was led by the president; Rassion (played by Tim Dalton) and he definitely looked the part; mean and totally void of any compassion. We learn that the Timelords weren’t as great as we thought they were as the the doctor only chose to remember the good bits. I have to say I was intrigued by the woman who was stood behind the president as the Timelords made their approach. Was she the Doctor’s mum? Lol. The showdown is when the doctor has to kill someone, something which he has tried to avoid and he has to choose: the Master or the Timelords? Stuck between a rock and a hard place, the doctor’s solution is to remove the whitepoint star thus breaking the link and sending the Timelords back into the void. A disappointing solution for some, but personally I liked it because this doctor never used weapons and still stuck to his principles. Ok, so he might have killed indirectly I suppose but not actual deliberate confrontation. And I’m glad the Master did something right for once! It was a fantastic performance and I can’t imagine anyone other than Simm playing that role. The way it ended makes me think that the Master might be back at some point in the future and gives the doctor some hope I guess. I’m glad that the doctor doesn’t really die in the end as I actually like the notion of someone out there actively defending/ looking out for the human race albeit an alien :P. In the final moments, we realise that the four knocks predicted by the Ood were not in fact referring to the beat in the Master’s head but Cribbins knocking on the chamber door.

The doctor still has time before the regeneration starts which he tells Cribbins he will use to collect his reward; to visit all of his companions at a special point in their lives. The last 30 minutes was a whole bunch of cameos; some hated it but I liked the sentimental value of it all. It was sad, him saying his final goodbyes to his fellow companions. We get to see Martha and Mickey (apparently married) chasing a sontaron and when Martha sees him she knows it’s time. We see the doctor save Sarah Jane Smith’s son from being knocked down by a car and again when Sarah sees him, she knows his time has come and waves goodbye. He visits a lady (played by Jessica Hayes) in a bookstore selling a version of her grandmother’s diary. Her grandmother fell in love with a man named John Smith; a man from the stars and turns out the doctor loved her too. The granddaughter instinctively knows who the doctor is when she speaks to him. We get to see Captain Jack sat in a bar with all the different aliens they encountered. He helps Jack get a date (I think?), I suppose his way of saying he accepts Jack’s way of life and perhaps forgives him perhaps for their disagreements in the past? The doctor sees Donna’s wedding from afar, which is ironic as this is how they first met, when the doctor gatecrashes Donna’s first wedding - it sort of brings the whole thing full circle doesn’t it? Although he doesn’t meet her, he brings a wedding gift which he says is from Geoffrey Nobel; Donna’s dad (played by the actor Howard Attfield who unfortunately died before he could return to the series). The doctor hands Donna’s granddad and mum an envelope, which contains a lottery ticket and deep down you just know she’s going to win big :) And finally, my most favourite of the doctor’s companions, we get to meet Rose one last time. Previously we met her was when the doctor left her in a parallel world with a clone of himself but who was half human. For his last goodbye, the doctor goes back to January 2005 before it all began. Rose has still to meet him (Eccleston/Tennant?) yet and mistakes him for a drunken stranger. She wishes him a happy new year and he tells her it’s going to be an excellent year for her.

And so the regeneration begins. The Ood sing the doctor to his sleep and I’ll admit it, I cried. Just before he regenerates, David Tennant’s last words - ‘I don’t want to go!’ - Oh my god, I don’t want you to go either dude! Point to note: regenerating indoors is clearly messy as shown by the inside of the TARDIS. Actually I’m glad they trashed Tennat’s TARDIS; it’s a great way to make a good exit. The new one can rebuild it and make it his own, the equivalent of interior decorating when you move into a new house, lol. And with that Matt Smith becomes the new doctor. His initial word’s ‘”Legs! I’ve got legs! Goood!” did make me laugh and I genuinely hope he is a good doctor.

So are you lot still alive? Lol

The first time I ever heard of Dr Who was overhearing the grown-ups talk about it; Tom Baker with his curly hair and scarf and Peter Davidson who looked like he had just come from a cricket match, lol. But I was much too young watch or understand any of the episodes. The first time I’ve properly paid attention to Dr who was the regeneration of the new series by Russell T. Davis when he cast Christopher Eccleston as the doctor and Billy Piper as his sidekick. Even then I still didn’t pay any attention to it apart from the odd episode here or there. I only sat up and paid attention when Tennant stepped in to play the doctor. So why am I so attached to this version of the doctor? Because that’s when it clicked – he was the first proper doctor of my lifetime. There’s was something about the way he plays the character of the doctor that draws you in and of course he is clearly quite a good looking doctor ;) Despite both Russell.T.Davis and David Tennant leaving the show, I still hope it does well and I will be watching the new episodes starring Matt Smith. That guy has some big shoes to fill and I wish him all the best. Here’s hoping that Matt Smith doesn’t mess it up, fingers crossed. And no that doesn’t make me a traitor (some people get way too tense about the whole thing!). I’m glad Russell T. Davis revived the show because it has been a fantastic viewing experience for me.

So after 4 and half years... my favourite doctor is and will always be the 10th doctor and David Tennant - you were 10 in every sense of the word! :)

P.S. After re-reading my posts I can say that - yes I am aware of how much I sound like a fan girl!

6 comments:

  1. The woman behind the doctor :) http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1191300&page=4

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna miss Tennant :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I'm gonna miss him as the doctor :( :( :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally I think it's time for some fresh blood ;)
    http://io9.com/5122922/when-did-doctor-who-start-to-go-downhill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Women fauning over Tennant everywhere! Typical! ;) What happened to watching the show for the actual storylines eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://mimi-na.deviantart.com/art/Doctor-s-Girls-Wallpaper-58513223
    Pretty cool artwork for Dr Who's assistants aka companions

    ReplyDelete