Friday 26 December 2008

Shazia Baji’s Nikkah

Despite some major setbacks, Shazia baji finally got married. It was a lovely day but also reminded everyone of the people that were missing. I listened to the nikkah being read and paid attention to what was being said. Afterwards auntie Naseem (Saba’s mum) made me giggle by making Saba and I eat the chowarey (sweets that are traditionally handed out after the nikkah) and told us to pray for good husbands, lol.

I’ve been to people’s nikkah’s before, but the first time I properly listened to what was being said was probably Sana’s wedding as it marked the beginning of a new period in our lives. We were all moving onto a new phase in our lives and Sana was the first one to step over that threshold so to speak. And soon after the floodgates opened and people were getting married left, right and centre :)

But this time Shazia baji’s nikkah was different. The order of things said and done was still the same but this time it felt weird... for me. As I listened to the molvi (priest), I felt this really strange feeling wash over me. I found my brain entering panic mode as I realised that the next nikkah of a female member of our family would probably be mine or Saba’s! Eek! I think Saba was thinking the same thing as we both had this look on our face.

Every wedding that I have attended this year has inevitably brought me one step closer to going through that same phase in my life. I’m not scared by it... well ok maybe I am a little, but it’s more to do with wanting to do it right the first time round. I don’t want to make a mistake and would ideally wish that when my time comes, it will be near enough perfect (inshAllah). A happy and successful marriage both for myself and everyone else that I know.

1 comment: