Thursday 3 September 2009

Childhood toys - Lego

One of my strongest childhood memories was playing with Lego. Not the big blocks for toddlers but the proper kind and each of my cousins had a set so no matter which house we went to, there would always be Lego to play with. I had quite a small collection, Saba and Sara had a few bits and bobs but the biggest collection by far was at my eldest cousin, Imran bhai’s house. It was an assortment of detailed Lego sets such as pirate ships, a space station, a police set up, an army of some sort and the list went on.

I remember that I had built my Lego set into a house with each room clearly defined and kitted out i.e. kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, lounge – I even had a garden! The house took pride of place on a high shelf where it was not in danger of being broken. I have memories of trying this recreate this house on larger scale using bhaijaan’s Lego set only to find that Fari bhai would continually break it down as there *ALWAYS* seemed to be some war going on or some baddies needed defeating whenever we played together. I may be generalising but that memory pretty much defined for me the fact that, girls are more about building and preserving things whilst boys just want to make a lot of noise and break stuff – although it has to be said Fari bhai did produce some fantastic sound effects ;)

Anyhow that model of my Lego house stayed with me for a while and I would continually improve it every time I thought of something new and liked the fact that I could do alterations without too much hassle. I then started jotting down my ideas for houses in an art scrap book I had at school and I suppose as silly as it may sound, that that may be where my interest in architecture came from. I eventually lost track of where my Lego house went, probably still somewhere in Halifax I should think. Just recently I came across an article about how James May (part of the Top Gear trio) is going to live in a house made entirely from Lego! How weird is that?! Also how badly do I want a go making this house?! I wonder how much weight the Lego pieces could take before they buckle and the whole house falls apart? Realistically it probably won’t last that long but it is something fun to do :)
James May's lego house.
A link to the Mail online article can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment