Saturday 30 August 2008

When it’s time to leave...

Have you ever been stuck in one of those jobs where you eventually get to a point that you just cannot bear it any longer? The little things initially don’t really matter but over time they all accumulate to such an extent that you just can’t stand being there anymore. All of us at some point or another have had a job (permanent or part time) that we hated in one way or another. If you haven’t, you’re an exception to the rule and extremely lucky!

Chatting amongst friends, I came up with a list of some of things that I think are a good indication that you should get out of that job as soon as...

1. Your co-workers drive you insane.
I don’t mean fun loving insanity but more like the ‘I-hate-you-all!!!’ kind of insanity. Co-workers can be a blessing or a curse in the workplace and they can work alongside you and be your friend or drive you to despair.

2. You hate going to work
Most Sunday night’s you find yourself dreading Monday morning from coming around. If it is a full time job, this is made much worse as you basically hate every second of your life you spend there, which turns out to be quite a long time.

3. You're exhausted.
Know your limits and learn when to step back. You won’t be any use to anyone if you get stressed/ burnout.

4. You're bored.
When your work starts to get routine and you don’t feel challenged enough.

5. Your career is at a standstill.
You don’t feel like you’re making progress. Maybe you don’t love the job as much as you used to, perhaps your priorities have changed or you just might need a new position with more responsibility?

6. Lack of recognition.
Even if you’re the shy type, it is still nice to have your work acknowledged in whatever forms i.e. verbal feedback, perks, bonuses etc.

7. You don't feel comfortable.
If you’re not comfortable in your workplace, you can’t do your best work.

8. Your work environment is less than desirable.
Aside from health and safety stuff, if your workplace is optimistic, so are you. If they are negative, again this get reflected in you as well; both personally and professionally,

9. You can't stand your boss.
Clashes with your supervisor can have a detrimental impact on your work, which is not good for you, your morale or the company.

10. The company is in trouble.
When there are financial worries and you’re not entirely sure where you stand with regards to your role.

Hand on my heart, there has only been one job in my life so far that I’ve ever felt the need to escape from, yet I would still say it was a good learning experience. In the beginning, I enjoyed it immensely and I had been honest from the start about my future goals which I had shared with my supervisor, who was totally supportive and the best supervisor you could ask for :) But the last month or so of that particular job began to drag and compared to some other people, I know how one month doesn’t seem like a long time to suffer. I think the change in me in my last month there was part of the reason as I knew I had learned as much as I could from this place plus I had other plans in the pipeline, something else to look forward to and so deep down I knew that it was time to move on. But even this change in my own perspective wasn’t the main reason for me hating... sorry disliking (hate is such a strong word) my last few weeks at work. My main reason I think was the change in attitude from other people once they had learnt about my future plans. Was it jealousy on their behalf that I had the opportunity to escape and improve myself? Did they not like the idea of somebody else progressing? Maybe it was something that they longed to do? Did they think that my impending departure was a form of betrayal?

I felt a little uneasy at time not knowing why there was a sudden change in the last four weeks whereas up until that point I was still very much a key part of the group and it was a fun group :) I have to say it wasn’t everyone at work, but just a select few, yet that still didn’t make it any better. I like being able to get on with other people, I hate confrontations and I truly believe it is ‘nice to be nice’. Therefore this sudden change in other people’s attitude was a bit of a shock, but I learnt from the experience, took it on board and went on my life. I don’t believe there is any point in bearing grudges and I know I will never ask them why they behaved the way they did. Instead I know that if I ever met them again, I would be more than happy to sit and talk to them as nothing ever happened. Sounds crazy, huh?

I’m thankful that my mother taught me to be the better person :)

No comments:

Post a Comment