Thursday 28 August 2008

Changes

Wow! This Wednesday I got a call to say that I’ve been successful in my application and won a scholarship at the University of Manchester. I still can’t believe my luck that they chose me out of all the people that got interviewed – surely it must be a fluke? But I definitely feel like the time has come to move on with my life and go back to what I love doing once more. Working in Harrogate was fun, but it was never meant to be long term and I guess in a way, I was putting off going to uni because I felt that I didn’t have the strength to carry on, what with everything that happened lately.

The person I was studying for, who was my initial inspiration, the person who I really wanted to help with the knowledge I would gain, had gone and so it all felt rather pointless. I felt like I didn’t deserve to be amongst those other med students, but talking to my mum made me see otherwise. She told me that everyone especially Aisha, would still be proud of me if I decided to carry on studying, as the things that I would learn, the things I would go onto to achieve would perhaps go on to help others in a similar position to Aishi (inshAllah). Even if I couldn’t help Aisha, helping other people out there would still be good thing. It probably seems kind of obvious to you all that are reading this, but at the time I felt quite lost and it was my mum who helped me on my way again. She’s my life coach in a way, always giving me pep talks and motivating me when I’m down, having complete faith in me, even when I doubt myself. I’m lucky that my mum is the way she is; I love her more than anything and feel truly blessed to have her in my life. I just hope that I can make her proud of me and can go on to achieve great things, inshAllah.

So after my pep talk with mum, I went and filled out application forms, got interviews and quite a few offers as well which surprised me. But the course at Manchester was what I REALLY wanted and well the last time I really wanted something (Aisha), well that didn’t work out so well. So two weeks after my interview I got the call to say I’d been successful and that set me off in another panic. How do I tell my boss I’m leaving? Eventually I decided the bite the bullet and go and tell my boss the truth. I was so nervous but Bob was great, apparently it was no surprise as he knew that I wanted to study further, it would be sad to see me go but he wished me the best of luck in my endeavours. So off I went to write my resignation letter (during work hours, they were paying me to write it, ha ha!). Next dilemma... telling the rest of the group that I'm leaving. First Abbey, then me; all the asian people are leaving Harrogate, lol. Ah well, onto bigger and better things, inshAllah :)

No comments:

Post a Comment