Thursday 21 May 2009

Following doctor’s orders…

No not that kind…
“You there – milk, two sugars!... Well don’t just stand there, I’ve got work to do!”
“You there jump!” – don’t say “Er, why?”... you say “Ok, how high?”
“You! This man has this list of symptoms, how should we treat him? “Err well I would…” “Too slow, he died!”

I mean come on… give us a chance! Life as a med student or F1 is hard people! From what I’ve seen and heard, it is like working for Hitler! Lol. Ok so I’m exaggerating but seriously. Juniors have orders constantly barked at them and made to do menial tasks. Maybe that just how we’re suppose to learn, who knows. lol.

Also senior Dr’s cannot be arsed trying to remember your names so you’ll usually hear “YOU” yelled at you with the senior’s finger pointed towards the next victim. Most of them don’t like the idea that you’re following them around, they don’t care how well you did at university and they do not wish to know what sparked your desire to become a doctor. Ok so I’m painting a bleak picture but you do get to learn an awful lot. Learning theory is one thing, but putting it into practice and seeing it used is something totally different. You get to see some amazing things on rounds and it can be very rewarding. Plus you may even get to publish a paper if the case is exceptionally interesting but that is just an aside, the primary emphasis is towards the care of your patient.

Yet at the same time it makes me wonder; when do you switch off from your professional life and go back to living your personal life? What I meant to say is as medic, when do you stop diagnosing every person you see? When do learn to just step back and let others deal with it? When do you stop feeling guilty for things that are totally out of your control? However that all depends on if actually HAVE a personal life to begin with. I mean most of the seniors I see, seem to live at the hospital and hardly ever seem to switch off. But then the logical part of me thinks that they must switch off at some point, otherwise the stress of the work would probably lead to burnout. So I guess in the medical world, personal lives do exist, it’s just that they don’t seem to get the same level of importance as work lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment