Monday 9 February 2009

Twitter gone crazy

People are going Twitter crazy! Over the last few weeks I’ve heard it mentioned on the return of Jonathan Ross show, almost daily in the Metro newspaper, being used in the courtroom, by politicians, fake twitter accounts for various famous celebs… even the Dalai lama was not spared! lol. I joined Twitter back in 2007, mostly just to keep in touch with my family members. I don’t regularly update my account but I do like reading about what everyone else in my family is up to… my family plus Stephen Fry for some strange reason :)

So I guess this micro-blogging service has really taken off. People do really want to know what we had for breakfast this morning! Ok so I’m being sarcastic but honestly I do think it is actually a neat little service and I really like it. I guess the development in technology and services like Twitter seem to bring out the reporter in people with many news events being covered by everyday people and it allows the collection of data in one go-to site. For example the landing of the jet in Hudson River or the snow spell that recently took place in the UK; people were twittering pictures of such events back and forth.

But sometimes things can spiral out of control - people inventing solutions to problems that weren’t really there to begin with. Something that caught my eye in the paper today was the introduction of a twitter service that tells you when you need to water your plants via a sensor placed in the plant pot. It detects changes in moisture and then via twitter sends you a message to say that your plant is gasping for a drink. OK that’s fine, people are busy I accept that… but to charge $99.99 for such a service is ridiculous, we’re going through economic issues as it is! So quite useful or utterly useless – you decide.

In all honesty, Twitter does get a lot of flak in the news, being ridiculed on a regular basis. So later this week Twitter will try to prove its’ worth. Twestival as it is being called takes place on 12th Feb. Twitters in nearly 200 cites will come together to raise £700,000 for charity and have a good party while they’re at it. Sounds like a plan, lol. Hope it all goes well and I’m sure they’ll all be twittering like crazy on the night to keep us informed ;)

4 comments:

  1. Am I the only one who *doesn't* use Twitter? :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ur not a cool kid Iram ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ur no kid either Shiraz, lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me neither Iram. I guess I'm not one of the cool kids either :(

    ReplyDelete