Saturday 21 February 2009

Seeing is believing


Back in 2005 I think, US and German scientists collaborated to produce a bionic eye. It worked by using a chip that contains tiny electrodes, that is placed at the back of the eyeball. The chip is linked to a video camera that is built into a pair of glasses which the individual wears. The images from the camera are relayed to the chip, which are converted into impulses that the brain can process. Basically the implant stimulates the viable cells by bypassing diseased cells in the retina, which can occur from a number of reasons such as macular degeneration. The work was to be tested in humans later on in the year and if successful, it meant essentially that the blind would be able to see again.

Forward to 2009 and a man that lost his sight 30 years ago can now see flashes of light after being fitted with a bionic eye, developed by the US company ‘Second sight’. 18 people across the world have been successfully fitted with the bionic eye so far. Although still in its’ trial period, the progress made by the patients is promising and scientists are now looking at how they can improve the level of vision for patients. Ron’s progress is discussed in more detail on the Inside out documentary on the BBC – Wednesday 4th March at 1930.

Linked to issues of vision, I’ve recently been contemplating laser eye surgery. Currently my vision is classed as short sighted and I’ve had a stable prescription for many years now. Although I like my glasses, I used to find them a hassle sometimes when working in labs/theatres, as I had to wear protective goggles in addition to my glasses. As my time spent in labs/theatres began to increase, I took to wearing disposable contact lenses on the days I knew I would need them and felt content with this arrangement. However recently I was offered the opportunity to have a free consultation about laser surgery from a well known company with the cost being picked up by the company itself in return for me to be included in some PR /prize draw stuff or something along those lines. I remember wanting to have laser surgery when I was 18 years old but was scared witless after being informed by one of my biology teachers that there is a slight chance that I could end up being blind. Ok maybe he was being extreme but still it scared me and I didn’t think it was worth the risk. The effects of the surgery were not known as many people were not having it done at the time and it was also a very costly surgery, something that my father would not have been pleased about.

Time passed and now four or so years later, I’m contemplating having surgery again. This time it is more affordable and more and more people are having it done, yet the long term effects are still not clear. Also I have issues with myself… I’m pretty sure that I’m not doing it for cosmetic reasons but more for the fact that I’ll have the freedom of not having to wear glasses again. Well at least for 10 years or so – the time that the surgery is guaranteed to remain effective for. I mean in terms of vanity, just by removing my glasses will not suddenly make me pretty – to think that would be ridiculous! So now that I’m sure about why I would like to have the laser surgery and that my reasons are not purely cosmetic… why is it I ask myself that I still haven’t made that call back yet?

1 comment:

  1. ur getting laser surgery done? :( Thought u were okay with contacts? Besides I like ur glasses :)

    ReplyDelete