Friday 2 January 2009

Honesty is the best policy

Reading the sun newspaper online - what? I needed a study break – this article made me smile. It’s nice to see that there are some people in the world that are honest and trustworthy :) Though I dare say that thanks to the paper, thieves now know where the best place is to go for a spot of stealing!

ARTICLE:

TRUSTING Tom Algie left his shop unattended for a day off — and made £187 from his honest customers.
Dad-of-two Tom, 47, fancied a day with his family but didn’t want to shut his DIY store.
So he made an honesty box out of a bucket, a tube and a funnel, then left it on the counter with a note reading: “Please choose the items you want and place the right money inside.”
He returned that evening to find takings of £187.66 and two euros. Nothing had been stolen or damaged.
Customers in scenic Settle, North Yorks, even wrote notes thanking Tom. One said, “This is why we moved to Settle,” while another wrote, “This has made my day.”
Settle has a population of 2,100, but serves a wider rural area and has about 100 shops.
Tom said: “I didn’t think twice about leaving the shop open. Settle is a lovely quiet town, there’s never any trouble here. I put faith in my customers and I wasn’t disappointed.
“It’s nice to know there are a lot of good honest people out there and not everything is all doom and gloom.”

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to see soemone try that in Halifax, Leeds or Bradford. lol

    ReplyDelete