Saturday 1 January 2011

Happy New Year!!!!


Stolen from Google... but I liked it anyway!

2011 is here. I wish everyone a happy, joyous, prosperous and successful new year! Let’s make it an even better one than last year :D


As a side note, I had a flashback one of my earlier classes (year 7/8) at Brooksbank School. My school was having an extension built and a whole new school block was being added. The school staff thought it would be a nice idea to produce a time capsule that could be buried in the foundations of the new building. The capsule was to be filed with memorabilia and keepsakes of the current year and in addition to this we could produce letters and drawings of what we think life will be like in the future. From what I remember, it was 1997 and I was 11/12 years old at the time. In one of our English lessons, we got to work and put on our thinking/ creative caps of what life would like in 2010, or was it 2020? I can’t remember properly, sorry!

Anyway there are a couple of things that make me laugh about this memory; firstly, why did the teachers think 2010/ 2020 would change our lives so significantly? I mean clearly we would be older, hopefully in settled careers and the rest of things that adult life brings with it. Yet by giving us a specific year to think about, our teachers gave us the notion that we would be by 2010 or 2020 that we would enter some kind of space age. As a result of this, in amongst other aspects of this new space age life, I think I may have suggested hovercraft / flying cars as our main mode of transport in the future, lol. Oh god, I hope I didn’t sign that piece of paper :-/ Imagine if we had put 2010 down, then how bloody disappointed would you be right now? However if we had put down 2020… well there might be a chance.


Secondly, I clearly remember being told by the teacher that the time capsule would be placed in the foundations of the new building and they would be dug up in 2010/ 2020 so that future generations could see how we had changed. At the time we all believed it (What? We were gullible!) but I mean really? Who on earth would rip up a new building in 20 odd years to dig up a time capsule that is clearly factually incorrect. #;’;, and that includes the building trade, it would be economically unfeasible to rebuild a perfectly good building.

So there you go, a childhood memory that I wanted to share.

Anyway, Happy New Year once again. Have a good one people! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment