Thursday 9 September 2010

Medical career open day

At an open day, a 17/ 18 year old college student considering medicine as a career, decided to talk to my friend and I happened to be nearby.

The college student to my friend: ‘So are you glad you chose medicine as a career?’

There was an awkward silence followed and my friend didn’t seem that talkative, so I decide to speak up...

Me: ’Um, well yes. It’s a rewarding career and it is a privilege to be present when...’

I get cut off by my friend...

Friend: ‘Let’s put it this way... there aren’t any other jobs in which I would I allow people to cough their potentially fatal germs all over me. So there has to be something rewarding on the other side of the equation to balance out all the nasty and depressing stuff.

College student: *looks confused* So... is that a no then?

The end result – a pretty frightened college student and I’m not entirely sure that we convinced the student to join the medical side. Also I should explain that friend was just having a bad day and is not always like that, (lol!) and personally I think my method of explaining was much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment