Friday 22 June 2007

Iifa Weekend

The Iifa awards finally came to Yorkshire. Did I go? Of course not! But I managed to attend every other related event within the region, lol.

The charity cricket match at Headingly Stadium in Leeds, which I attended in the sweltering heat. It was a good event; combining my love of Cricket, Bollywood and fabulous weather. Took plenty of pictures and enjoyed the atmosphere immensely. Got to see quite a few stars; Saif ali Khan, Salman Khan, Jay Sean, err Shilpa Shetty etc. But who was I most excited about seeing; No, not Salman Khan one of my favourite actors... it was actually Nick Knowles – the guy from DIY SOS. Sad I know! Jay sean was stood right next to him but nope... Nick Knowles is what I saw, lol. I think my cousin Saba was in such shock that she almost lost the ability to speak, lol.

The dance show on in Bradford was also a good laugh and very entertaining. A good effort made by all involved and it clearly showed! The Mela at Roundhay park, Leeds, had plenty of fun rides, some good food and the rumour of Bollywood stars milling about. Did I go just to meet the stars I hear you cry? Perhaps to begin with but nope, I got distracted by the numerous stalls, (shopping is always safe bet to distract me) and I was having way too much fun on the fairground rides with Arooj, lol. The day of the actual awards, the event was watched on the big screen in the town centre, surrounded by most of my friends.

All in all I had a fab weekend; good weather, food, company and a good excuse to catch up family and friends. It was nice to see people united via the asian community, regardless of creed and colour. I’m not saying that Bollywood solves problems of racial equality but just that it was nice to see everyone having a good time in a fun and nicely organised regional event. Let’s hope there are more of these to come :)

1 comment: