Tuesday 6 March 2007

Technical Dinner

A big fancy dinner to mark the end of the Bio2work training programme; it was a fabulous night. Again we had to present our team ideas and findings but I’m finding that I’m beginning to gain more confidence each time I’m forced to present, which can only be a good thing! Good food, good company, pictures were taken, prizes were won and rather fittingly I received a plaque inscribed with the words “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” A firm believer in fate but slowly realising that to get ahead in this world, I need to make my own opportunities and be a bit more self confident; something which doesn’t come naturally to me. Here’s hoping that will change :)

In a way, I was glad that the training programme was coming to an end as it meant that I had successfully achieved my goal and I could move onto the next phase of my life. But at the same time I felt slightly sad as well as I would be leaving behind this new group of friends that I had made. It’s been a fun few months with a fun group of people (despite being scientists!) that have taken my mind off some of the not-so-happy events of the past year. I hope to keep in touch with all of them but realistically I know everyone drifts off along their own paths, which makes it harder to keep in touch with absolutely everyone. It got me thinking of all those people that I was close to at one point or another in my life, those that have drifted away over time and those that stayed by my side through thick and thin.

One feeling was recurrent as I relived all those memories; a feeling of delight. That I had met all those different people who I believe in some way or another all had a part to play in shaping me into the person I am today. Good or bad; I’m truly thankful for all those people who entered my life as I learnt something from each and every one of them, whether or not I realised it at the time is a different matter! Hmm... hindsight is such a wonderful thing isn’t it? :)

2 comments:

  1. Never been to a technical dinner, what's it like? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. Very technical :P

    ReplyDelete