Wednesday 16 June 2010

Britain’s got bhangra

Saba: Hey I found this thing online. Do you want to go?
Me: Err, yea ok. Who’s in it?
Saba: *Looks towards to computer screens*
Me: *Peering over her shoulder* Oooh that DCS* guy? He’s good! Yes let’s go!!!

Clearly DCS* was a major selling point for me, lol. I love them as a band so hopefully this will be good too. I hope.

We booked tickets for auntie Naseem, Saba and I and off we go. Prior to the show starting, we had a dance group performs some of their routines in the foyer of the Yorkshire Playhouse. It was a mix of Asian and English ladies who made a real effort and were actually pretty entertaining. However there was this one female asian dancer who kept focusing on us with very direct (and alarming) eye contact and facial expressions towards both Saba and I. Trust me, it was disturbing at the time! We filed into the theatre and the show started – unfortunately I wasn’t able to take any pictures but it was a great show and enjoyed by everyone regardless of whether you were Asian or English. The jokes translated well, it was colourful, the performers gave it their all and overall it was so much fun and such a laugh. I mean come on, an evening of bhangra – what’s not to love?! :P I could sit her all night typing out funny dialogues but it wouldn’t be the same and you would get bored. Plus you really have to be there, absorbing the atmosphere which is why I would urge you to go and watch it for yourself.

It’s had some pretty good reviews here and here, plus here's a YouTube clip so you can see what kind of things are involved in the show.

*DCS (Desi Culture Shock, the band) not DFS (the sofa making company) as someone misunderstood earlier when I was telling them about the show, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment