Wednesday 28 October 2009

Raising doctors the beta way

You see what I* did there? Ok… well I thought it was good, meh!

We got an email recently telling us about how although Facebook and Twitter are becoming a growing trend in society, we should be mindful of the way in which we use them in our lives both professionally and personally. And I suppose this applies to everyone regardless of their chosen careers.

It seems that in the medical area, Twitter is acceptable for say sharing opening hours etc, but not consultations or having personal conversations with your patients which obviously is wrong and lacks common sense.

I’ve know classmates in previous years who have got into trouble for posting certain Facebook updates which may contain personal details of other people (very rare occurrence) or perhaps adding the relatives of a patient as a ‘friend’ on Facebook (weirdly more common, especially with guys – sorry to be stereotypical!)

I think it goes without saying that – yes, technology is useful but we should be careful about how and when we use it. I particularly like this final article 'Raising doctors the beta way' – a clever title, which I borrowed for my post :P
* I say ‘I’ but I actually borrowed the title from this article ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment