Saturday 28 March 2009

And now I know why…

ARTICLE:
Laser eye clinics ‘underplay risks’

Leading laser eye clinics are potentially endangering people's sight by underplaying risks and pushing customers into treatment, it has been claimed.
Optical Express, Optimax and Ultralase gave poor patient advice and encouraged customers to spend more during consultations, a panel of experts said.
The chains also 'played down' the risk of long-term complications, which can include permanently poor night vision or even loss of sight.
And in almost half of their undercover consultations, Which? researchers were not warned they would probably need glasses when they were older.
The consumer group said about 80 per cent of people seeking laser eye surgery used the three high street chains. But of the 18 clinics visited, more than half gave unsatisfactory advice.
'Clinics must give accurate information and ensure customers are fully aware of the risks, the benefits and the likely price tag,' said Which? editor Martyn Hocking.
Steve Schallhorn, of Optical Express, said: 'This is poorly researched and very misleading.
'It does not do justice to the quality and calibre of care we provide.'

Damn, now I know why I didn’t feel comfortable with my laser eye consultation. Just been reading some comments from people who’ve had eye surgery and I’ll tell ya, it don’t sound too good! I guess I should really trust my gut instinct a bit more :)

6 comments:

  1. Have you had it done?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, she was thinking about it. Duh

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do u know? Were u there pendu?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No dude! I can read eh :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. *raised eyebrow* wait till i see ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Settle down ladies! No I was thinking about it but decided against it. I'll stick with my contacts :)

    ReplyDelete