Friday 24 October 2008

Year 2

It’s amazing how quickly time flies by and yet those memories that I have, still seem so fresh in my mind. It’s as if the whole thing only just happened yesterday.

I recently saw another family member leave us this year, uncle Mirza Sahib. He passed away near the end of Ramzan and his 40 day khatum fell close to Aisha’s 2 year anniversary. I still can’t believe that he’s actually gone, I mean it was just so sudden. They had been round to deliver Shazia baji’s wedding invites and we were all sat laughing and joking, teasing Bilal, all the usual stuff, Bilal running off to fetch his draughts set (his favourite game that he loves playing with all my uncles). Basically a good evening with family. The next thing I know is that I was woken up at 1am, to be informed that uncle had passed away an hour after he left our house. I don’t think it really sunk in until I got up for Sehri the next morning and tears started to flow as I remembered the events from last night.

The day progressed through all the various traditions and customs but I still had this feeling of disbelief. Even after seeing all those people at the house gathered together to say their goodbyes, even after seeing his face with my own eyes; where a smile was ever present. Yet I still couldn't quite grasp the situation at hand. But I think seeing uncle’s grave near Aishi’s is when it really hit home; the fact that I wouldn’t actually see him ever again and that really got to me. My relationship with uncle actually changed significantly over the time I had known him. I spent my childhood a bit afraid him as he seemed like the strict disciplinarian type, but how wrong was I? :) As the years went by, I got to know him better and I actually found it easier to have a conversation with him than with my own father at times. I guess in a way he was like another father figure, just like Tyagee and Saeed Mamoo are to me; which has been very comforting to me especially over these last few years.

It became a regular thing to have uncle pop over in the evenings after work. Whilst having his usual cup of coffee, he’d have a quick game of draughts with Bilal and talk to me at the same time. With uncle Mirza Sahib, I was able to switch between joking around to discussing issues such as politics, education, science, everyday life... basically you name it and we could sit down and have a discussion on it for hours. I also improved my draughts game as well and quoting uncle I was a worthy opponent, but still needed some more practice apparently, lol. I think I actually beat him once (just the once!) and even then I think he let me win, something I'm still not sure about.

I know my father will miss him a lot as well. I know for a fact that uncle was my dad’s favourite “go-to” guy whether it be personal issues or otherwise. Uncle was one of the first people that dad stayed with when he moved over to the UK and everything started from there really. He may not have been the most religious or the most out spoken but he was a good man and well respected. He will be dearly missed by all and may his soul enter Janaah (Ameen).

No comments:

Post a Comment