Friday 10 October 2008

Divisions between Facebook and Twitter

Like I said before, I do like using new technology and services as opposed to some friends who are just a tiny bit hesitant... but I’m working on them ;) So far I’ve got those friends to join Facebook and I think they like using it. Therefore I thought the next thing I should get them signed up to is Twitter and explained what it was all about. Except I don’t think they liked this idea as much, but I’m not sure why. I’m on both Facebook and Twitter and essentially they are both ‘social networking’ sites, but I feel like there is a difference between the two services.

Twitter is all about keeping in touch with people but on a much larger scale and it may not feel as personal as Facebook as some people have many thousands of followers. It allows you to update everyone on what you’re up to and in return you keep up to date on everyone else you follow. It’s a bit like a newsfeed but it has more of a community feel as you get to pick and choose who you do and don’t follow. However with twitter, it’s become more of a family thing for me as most of my followers and the people that I’m following are close family members. For me it’s nice to be able to see at a glance what most of my family are up to, especially if I’ve been busy and haven’t had the chance to meet up with them properly.

On the other hand, I feel that Facebook is more of a personal service as the people that you add to your profile are usually real family and friends, people that you know and have probably met face to face. It’s usually a close group of people, though there are exceptions as some people have like over a 1000 friends added to their accounts. The point is that that you may not meet these people very often, but being able to write on each other’s walls, tagging friends in various photos and using apps like superpoke, makes it a lot more fun than exchanging normal emails to keep in touch. It’s the ‘in’ thing at the moment and if you like is the acceptable face of the emailing as it’s cool at this moment in time.

So there, that’s my opinion on the topic. Does anyone else feel like that or is it just me?

1 comment:

  1. http://www.albumoftheday.com/facebook/
    Facebook issues :(

    ReplyDelete