Saturday 8 November 2008

Bilal

Bilal and I are out grocery shopping in Morrisons. Bilal stops at a shelf and adds something to our trolley...

Me: Billy. Have you read the ingredients?



Bilal: Yes Baji!



Me: Is it suitable for vegetarians?



Bilal: Err...



So I read the packet, approve it and move onto the next aisle. A little while later...



Bilal; Baji, what did you say it has to be suitable for???



Me: Vegetarians



Bilal.: Right, yea. Are we vegetarians now?



Me: Well we kind of are when we shopping in stores that aren’t really catering for the halal market.



A little while later...



Bilal: So we’re vegetarian then?



Me: For now yes.



Bilal: *Looks at me with utter confusion*



Me: What Billy?



Bilal: *with an innocent face*... So does that mean we’re not muslim anymore. Just vegetarian?



I look at him and I just can’t help it. Laughter escapes my lips and I have tears in my eyes!



Bilal: Baji, stop laughing! It’s not funny! People will look at us!



Me: I’m sorry! So sorry!



Once I’ve suitably calmed down a little, I explain how being muslim is a religion and being vegetarian is a dietary choice. ‘Oh’, he says. ‘Well you didn’t have to laugh at me you know’ he says in a bit of a huff.



In my defence I wasn’t laughing at him but I was just so touched by his innocence, so sweeeeet!!! I love my little brother, he can be so incredibly cute (mA).

No comments:

Post a Comment