Sunday 27 December 2009

David Tennant

He may be leaving Dr Who, but I love the fact that David Tennant seems to be everywhere on TV this Christmas season. It is like his final farewell... except he’ll still be around doing other stuff that is NOT Dr Who related.

So the places I spotted DT...

  • In the BBC ‘promo slots’ between programmes (promoting Dr Who of course). The TARDIS, DT, the reindeer – love the Christmassy feel of it all.
  • As a presenter on ‘Never mind the Buzzcocks’ along with his fellow actors Catherine Tate and Bernard Cribbins as team members. Laughed non-stop throughout the programme.
  • As the (Scottish) ghost of Christmas present in the Catherine Tate show. A hilariously effeminate portrayal that reminded me of Russell Brand.
  • His first appearance as a panellist for the quiz show QI. I liked the banter between him Bill Bailey; a little silly at times but that is what the holidays are about – having a laugh with your mates. Also he looked rather handsome in his maroon velvet suit (biased I know!).
  • As a guest on ‘The Graham Norton show’. Aah, you just have to watch the clip, lol
  • In the BBC’s adaptation of Hamlet where David Tennant starred as Hamlet himself. Not something I often watch but I’m glad I did as I thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially liked Patrick Stewart portrayal of Hamlet’s uncle Claudius was another role that really stood out.
  • Whilst randomly flicking across channels, I came across the Cbeebies channel where lo and behold David Tennant was reading Bedtime stories.
  • And of course Dr Who; in his final episodes!!!

Whilst some papers just listed the different programmes he was due to appear on, others (here and here) felt that the BBC was overdosing it’s viewers with numerous DT appearances. Keeping my bias aside (I’m trying, honest!) I say let David Tennant have his time. I mean after all, how many times do you get to become the Doctor? It is such an iconic role. As for me I’m eagerly awaiting the second part of the final Dr Who episode of this series. Excited to see what happens next and yet at the same time saddened knowing that this will be the last time DT will take up his role of the doctor :(

2 comments: